Friday, August 8, 2008

Card Spotlight: 8-8-08

1957 Topps #23 - Sherm Lollar

I found this card in a 1957 Topps White Sox lot that I had purchased on eBay. It was a bit of a surprise, since it wasn't actually listed in the description. This was the "bonus" that the seller had mentioned. I was stoked because I needed it for the collection. And really, who turns down a free 1957 Topps card, even if they had it?

Not only is this a card featuring Sherm Lollar, there is also an unidentified fielder BEHIND Sherman batting. Plus, the colors on the blur indicate that it could possibly be a teammate.

"Hey, Sherm! The field is this way!"

"No kid, I see the opposing pitcher", said Sherm.

"That's because he's in the dugout!"

More than likely, this photo was taken during batting practice or a day set aside for publicity shots. It's still awesome. Thanks to dayf, I now have the word awesome running through my head.

Even with the cards awesomeness set aside, it accomplishes one more thing. It gets my 1957 Topps team set a little closer to completion. I never thought I'd say this, but I'm kind of glad that the White Sox were just on the verge of making the World Series for most of the fifties and sixties. It makes their cards way more affordable. See, another good point for not being a Yankees fan.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...