Sunday, August 10, 2008

Hot Buttered Soul Gone Cold

The second post in a row that has to do with a recently deceased celebrity. That has to be a record for this blog. This one has even less to do with the White Sox.

Isaac Hayes was found dead today, at the age of 65. Why is this on a blog about the White Sox and baseball cards? Well, there are other things in the world besides baseball cards and the White Sox. Sometimes it just doesn't seem that way.

Isaac Hayes helped shape me into who I am today. Not that he would know it, I never met him either. I do a pretty good Chef impression, or so I am told. South Park's humor was a big part of my life in the past decade. A lot of that had to do with Isaac's portrayal of Jerome "Chef" McElroy.

But it goes a little deeper than that. I probably heard the theme from Shaft from the time I was in utero. Isaac always popped up in movies that I liked. Escape From New York, Robin Hood: Men In Tights and I'm Gonna Git You Sucka are just three of the many movies that he stood out in.

Although things got a little murky the past few years, I could look past all that and just appreciate his work, on its own merits. I was secretly hoping that he would appear back on South Park somewhere down the line. At least now, I can still catch him in reruns... and on the radio... and in old favorite movies.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...