Monday, February 18, 2008

Beginnings

I got enough positive e-mails about this, so I'll share with you my idea for a card set called Beginnings. It features mostly star players and a few that have distinct notable places in baseball history.

The image I chose to represent the idea of this project is Babe Ruth on the Baltimore Orioles. This is the only image I have seen of him on the Orioles. Everyone talks about him being on the Yankees. Most people talk about him being on the Red Sox. Fewer yet, speak about his time with the Braves. Almost no one speaks about his time on the Orioles, his team before he hit the majors.

This has intrigued me since I was a child. I thought this was an important part of history. Yet, I couldn't find any information on it except for a date. That frustrated me to no end. I wanted to know more. It's the same way that finding out Luke Appling played on a team before the White Sox effected me. I was curious.

I won't do a different card everyday or every week. This list is here to take as is. I don't even have images or a card design. If someone wants to take a stab at it, go for it. Just run it by me first and give me the credit for it.

1 - Ozzie Smith - Walla Walla Padres
2 - Hanley Ramirez - Portland Sea Dogs
3 - Babe Ruth - Baltimore Orioles
4 - Graig Nettles - Charlotte Hornets
5 - Aaron Boone - Indianapolis Indians
6 - Buddy Bell - Wichita Aeros
7 - Derek Jeter - Columbus Clippers
8 - Carl Yastrzemski - Raleigh Capitals
9 - Akinori Iwamura - Tokyo Yakult Swallows
10 - Fernando Valenzuela - San Antonio Dodgers
11 - Luis Aparicio - Waterloo White Hawks
12 - Craig Biggio - Tucson Toros
13 - Ozzie Guillen - Beaumont Golden Gators
14 - Nolan Ryan - Jacksonville Suns
15 - George Stovey - Newark Little Giants
16 - Masanori Murakami - Nankai Hawks
17 - Todd Helton - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
18 - Reggie Jackson - Birmingham A’s
19 - Tony Gwynn - Hawaii Islanders
20 - John Paciorek - Modesto Colts
21 - Roberto Clemente - Montreal Royals
22 - Michael Bourn - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Red Barons
23 - Ryne Sandberg - Oklahoma City 89ers
24 - Willie Mays - Minneapolis Millers
25 - Albert Pujols - Potomac Cannons
26 - Gary Carter - Quebec City Carnavales
27 - Jesse Barfield - Kinston Eagles
28 - Joe Carter - Midland Cubs
29 - Alex Rodriguez - Tacoma Rainiers
30 - Tim Raines - Memphis Chicks
31 - Harmon Killebrew - Charlotte Hornets
32 - Manny Ramirez - Canton-Akron Indians
33 - Jose Canseco - Modesto A’s
34 - Kirby Puckett - Toledo Mud Hens
35 - Frank Thomas - Birmingham Barons
36 - Brooks Robinson - Vancouver Mounties
37 - Bruce Sutter - Wichita Aeros
38 - Curt Schilling - Charlotte Knights
39 - Jim Palmer - Aberdeen Pheasants
40 - Joba Chamberlain - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Yankees
41 - Tom Seaver - Jacksonville Suns
42 - Jackie Robinson - Montreal Royals
43 - Cal Ripken Jr. - Rochester Red Wings
44 - Hank Aaron - Eau Claire Bears
45 - Bob Gibson - Omaha Cardinals
46 - David Wells - Syracuse Chiefs
47 - Luke Appling - Atlanta Crackers
48 - Rickey Henderson - Navojoa Mayos
49 - Ichiro Suzuki - Orix Blue Wave
50 - Will Clark - Phoenix Firebirds
51 - Vladimir Guerrero - Harrisburg Senators
52 - Bill Lee - Pittsfield Red Sox
53 - Willie Stargell - Columbus Jets
54 - William Edward White - Providence Grays
55 - Orel Hershiser - Albuquerque Dukes
56 - Mark Buehrle - Burlington Bees
57 - Todd Zeile - Louisville Redbirds
58 - Nick Markakis - Bowie Baysox
59 - Robin Yount - Newark Co-Pilots
60 - Joe DiMaggio - San Francisco Seals
61 - Roger Maris - Keokuk Kernels
62 - Randy Johnson - Indianapolis Indians
63 - Hideki Okajima - Nippon Ham Fighters
64 - Oscar Gamble - San Antonio Missions
65 - Hank Greenberg - Beaumont Exporters
66 - Bo Jackson - Memphis Chicks
67 - Andre Dawson - Denver Bears
68 - Josh Beckett - Kane County Cougars
69 - Carl Crawford - Durham Bulls
70 - Rod Carew - Wilson Tobs
71 - Johan Santana - Quad City River Bandits
72 - Carlton Fisk - Waterloo Hawks
73 - Troy Tulowitzki - Modesto Nuts
74 - Duke Snider - St. Paul Saints
75 - Jim Morris - Orlando Rays
76 - George Brett - Billings Mustangs
77 - Mark Grace - Iowa Cubs
78 - Ty Cobb - Royston Rompers
79 - Johnny Damon - Wichita Wranglers
80 - Vida Blue - Iowa Oaks
81 - Lou Brock - St. Cloud Rox
82 - Pete Rose - Macon Peaches
83 - Jermaine Dye - Richmond Braves
84 - Kirk Gibson - Evansville Triplets
85 - Moses Walker - Toledo Blue Stockings
86 - Dustin Pedroia - Augusta Greenjackets
87 - Dick Allen - Arkansas Travelers
88 - Sammy Sosa - Tulsa Drillers
89 - Brandon Webb - Tucson Sidewinders
90 - Paul Molitor - Burlington Bees
91 - Julio Franco - Oklahoma City 89ers
92 - Tadahito Iguchi - Fukuoka Daiei Hawks
93 - Fergie Jenkins - Arkansas Travelers
94 - Jim Thome - Charlotte Knights
95 - Ron Santo - Houston Buffs
96 - David Wright - Norfolk Tides
97 - Johnny Bench - Buffalo Bisons
98 - Ken Griffey Jr. - San Bernardino Spirit
99 - David Ortiz - Ft. Myers Miracle
100 - Mike Schmidt - Eugene Emeralds

As you can see, there is a method to the madness. I gave vanity numbers to as many players as I could without going overboard. I also tried to get a good mix of teams and players. I tried to use players from the 19th century until present day. I attempted to mix in unique accomplishments in with the superstars. If you don't immediately recognize a name, look up the player and see why he made the list.

I refrained from using a lot of players from the White Sox. They are there, but I kept my fandom out of this project. The genesis for the listings came from the SP Legendary Cuts series. There are a mix of superstars, Hall of Famers, regional stars and relatively unknown players with a great accomplishment to their credit. My only real criteria was that they couldn't be on a major league team and it was preferably before they reached the major leagues.

I tried to make the listing from teams that the player was on for a short time. Sometimes that wasn't possible, but I tried. Maybe I'll be inspired to do another one of these lists somewhere down the line. Until that happens or doesn't happen, enjoy this one.

7 comments:

hartmanj said...

Sounds like a great project. I can't wait.

csd said...

I want the Waterloo Hawks card. Who do we have to e-mail to get the ball rolling?

Steve Gierman said...

The trick is to find decent pictures of each player, in uniform, on these teams. Some are easier than others. I haven't run across a Fisk Waterloo Hawks picture.

One of the reasons that I posted it, is for community help in tracking down good images. I have ideas like this all the time, but no card company to back me up and put me on the payroll. LOL

The images are out there for almost everyone. The 19th century/early 20th century ones may be more difficult to find. Those may have to get the artist treatment.

Maybe a card company will get wind of this and want to help.

Uglee Card said...

Great, great idea for a set. And glad to see the Kane County Cougars make the list. Something makes me want to see a Darryl Strawberry Tidewater Tides card on here. I can't say why exactly, but maybe because that was before all the promise went away. Oh, Darryl.

Steve Gierman said...

If luck holds out and everything falls into place, maybe there will be another list. It depends on how much of this list can become a reality.

csd said...

Here is a Fisk pic for ya. There has to be a better one out there, but for now this could do.

http://www.baseballlibrary.com/pics/Fisk_Carlton_at_Waterloo.jpg

Steve Gierman said...

Small, but AWESOME!!! Thanks!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...