Tuesday, February 5, 2008

The Spring Training Radio Experiment

The White Sox flagship radio station, 670AM The Score, is trying something new just in time for Spring Training. Ed Farmer and Chris Singleton will have a traditional call for five games. Then things get interesting. There are plans to do four interactive games.

After three innings of traditional play by play calls, Chris Rongey will join Ed Farmer and Chris Singleton to conduct a talk show during the game. They will take calls from listeners and feature guests from the games.

"This concept allows us to keep up with the team, and have listeners interact with the broadcasters," program director Mitch Rosen said.

670 The Score is guessing you won't miss the late-inning action with non-roster players, especially in the early games. Also included in the experiment will be six "White Sox Baseball Live" talk shows during the spring, featuring interviews with White Sox players.

I'm not exactly sure what to think of this new plan. I like the new concept in theory, but I also enjoy listening to the non-roster players play. Part of the fun for me is listening to the rookies and older players that are hanging on try their hardest to make the team.

I like the full experience of Spring Training, warts and all. I enjoy listening or watching a player develop. I can usually tell why a decision was made to keep or to cut a player by the radio and television broadcasts in the spring. I can also usually tell who I can be looking forward to seeing in the second or third series of the baseball card releases. It's my spring ritual.

I'm hoping that if something exciting happens, Ed Farmer, Chris Singleton and Chris Rongey will go back to the game. I enjoy "Rain Delay Theater" as much as anyone, but not at the expense of the game itself. It's a bold move and I hope it works out the way they want it to.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...