Saturday, February 23, 2008

1964 Topps Giant

I received an oddball set in the mail the other day. The 1964 Topps Giant White Sox team set. I had only ordered two cards, but the seller threw the third card in for free. What a nice fellow.

This is basically a highlights set that features highlights from the 1963 season. At least that's what I'm taking it as. This set is 12 years older than I am, so I didn't live through its release.

Compared to the regular release, this is giant. I don't believe that it's as big as the Topps Super release from when I was a kid though. I don't have any for direct comparison, but I remember the supers being larger. Why do I suddenly feel like I'm discussing feminine hygiene products? Oh well, it's only baseball.

The White Sox have three cards in this release, from what I can tell. Let's go through the list.

  • 1 - Gary Peters
  • 33 - Pete Ward
  • 53 - Jaun Pizzaro

Gary Peters boasts the best ERA in the AL. Pete Ward was named the top rookie. Juan Pizzaro hurls in the All-Star game. Not a bad group of accomplishments. But does Juan Pizzaro deserve a card for getting sick at the All-Star game? Yes, I'm kidding.

I have to tell you that when I think of Pete Ward, the first picture that comes to mind is Gary Ward. It's most likely because of the 1985 Fleer card I had of Gary Ward when I was an impressionable youth. I know of Pete Ward's career and I know his accomplishments. I know what Pete Ward looks like too. I just can't get the image of Gary Ward's 1985 Fleer card out of my head. I will be seeking professional help. I swear.

Pete Ward looks like one of the Righteous Brothers and Gary Ward looks like James Brown. Yet, I can't get Gary's image out of my mind. Maybe it's because he reminds me of James Brown's preacher from the Blues Brothers.

Anyway, the backs of each card feature a nice short story on each player along with an action photograph in black and white. I would imagine these would have been popular with the kids. There's even cards of Nellie Fox on the Houston Colt 45's and Luis Aparicio on the Orioles. All the usual suspects are included.

At 60 cards this may be a good vintage set to start off with. Most cards in the set can be found for under a dollar. There are only a few short printed cards. This may be easier to collect than the regular issue.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...