Wednesday, December 19, 2007

1980 Kellogg's

Boy, do I love oddball sets! The odder, the better. I have always run across these little gems, but passed them up for other cards. I had a prejudice against smaller cards when I was younger. There, I said it, I feel better.

There was nothing wrong with these smaller cards, but I was so used to collecting standard sized cards that I really didn't know what to do with them. I guess when it comes down to it, I was afraid they would become damaged because of my inferior storage system for oddball sized cards.

I think I made the right call. Most of my oddball sized cards, that I collected at an early age, look horrific. I think I am finally ready to collect these types of cards after getting the hang of mini card collecting with the recent parallel sets from Bowman and Allen & Ginter.

This set consists of 60 cards. There are two White Sox cards among the 60.
  • 34 - Claudell Washington
  • 46 - Chet Lemon

This design reminds me of a winter circus. It's colorful, there are smiles all around, and from afar there appears to be snowflakes. It's ugly in a lovable way. It still hangs on to some 70's school of design. I suppose it's in 3-D, but I haven't seen a card up close in many moons. I guess I'll have to trust the "3-D Superstars" claim at the bottom of the card.

All in all, this is a neat little set, which can be had very cheaply. There are only two White Sox cards for me to collect, so I think I can keep the cost under a dollar for both of them. Not bad for an oddball card set that's over 25 years old.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...