Thursday, December 13, 2007

1990 Donruss Rookies

Let's look at the 56 card set of 1990 Donruss Rookies. I'll tell you right off the bat, I like the design of the regular issue 1990 Donruss. Yes, I'm the one. It reminds me of a simpler time in my life. I was making the transition between junior high and high school that summer.

I had slacked off on card collecting in 1988 and 1989. I was more into other interests those two years. It may have had to do with the White Sox really sucking those two years. Kids can be really fickle. I got back into heavy card collecting in June of 1990. I woke up from my hormonal interests of girls and music to find that the White Sox had not moved to Florida, like was threatened a couple years earlier.

The White Sox had a young, exciting team on the field, despite trading away one of my childhood heroes the previous year. Honestly, I think trading Baines away was the last straw and contributed to my lack of interest from July 1989 to June 1990.

I liked the design of 1990 Donruss products from the first time I saw them. I even remember trying to duplicate the black splatters across red background design for an art project in my freshman year of high school. Having been overkilled with the red background, I really prefer how the green background looks. It's a little more pleasing to the eye.

Out of 56 cards, the White Sox get 5 in the set. That's a good amount. The player selection is hit and miss though.
  • 9 - Craig Grebeck
  • 15 - Robin Ventura
  • 17 - Wayne Edwards
  • 25 - Jerry Kutzler
  • 40 - Scott Radinsky

Craig Grebeck was a scrappy little player. I always liked him. Robin Ventura is always a welcome edition. Wayne Edwards was decent. He even used to be in a band with Jack McDowell. Jerry Kutzler was a Waukegan native, so he had the "hometown" thing going for him. He only appeared in 1990 and was 2-1 in 7 games. His ERA of over 6 did him in though. Scott Radinsky was a good relief pitcher. Gutsy and a good all around guy.

This wasn't an overwhelming set, but slightly better than other 1990 releases. Sets from this year are very hard to review. They were all overproduced and everyone has a few, wether they want them or not. The player selection isn't good, but it's not bad either. There are non-White Sox cards of David Justice, Sandy Alomar Jr., Ben McDonald, Delino DeShields, Carlos Baerga, Steve Avery, John Olerud, Greg Vaugh and Todd Zeile. This would have been awesome in 1990, but lacks the kind of player selection excitement that was huge in 1990.

I would've been bragging to my friends about this set in 1990. I probably would've been the envy of my card collecting friends. In 2007, it's still a nice set to have. I'm sure it can be picked up for less than a song.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...