Thursday, December 6, 2007

2007 Topps 52

I had no clue that this snuck out already. I knew it was coming, but didn't know exactly when. Maybe Topps sensed the animosity building against this set and just wanted to drop it with little fanfare. Whatever the reason, it's here. I can barely contain my enthusiasm. Woo-hoo and such.

Even Danny Richar can sense that I have no use for this set. It's the same design as last year's set with new players. I couldn't find any information about this set by searching Topps web site. All I know is that it's all over eBay and A Pack A Day.

I'm treated to seven cards of the White Sox, as far as I can tell right now. That's a great improvement from last year's set. So, I guess I can be happy with that much. Researching the news at Beckett's site, there are no White Sox short prints or variations. Thank goodness for small favors. The Sox cards are as follows.
  • 14 - Jerry Owens
  • 52 - Ryan Sweeney
  • 75 - Josh Fields
  • 101 - John Danks
  • 141 - Dewon Day
  • 178 - Danny Richar
  • 186 - Ehren Wassermann

The cards themselves are a fantastic design. Don't get me wrong, I like the design. It's based off a classic set in Topps history. That's also what kills it for me. Topps uses the 1952 design TO DEATH! STOP IT TOPPS!! ENOUGH!!! Please move on to another year's design. That's what makes the Heritage line so great. It keeps moving down the line every year. The only way someone can tell the difference between the 2006 and the 2007 versions of this set is to take a magnifying glass and look at the tiny copyright date on the back. Nothing else. That's insane!

I love the idea behind these cards. Keep the idea, lose 1952. Move back to the 1951 design or move forward to the 1953 design. No more 1952. Maybe even start over with 1952 every 10 years. Cycle through the designs until 1961 and go back. I'd even go for that line of thinking. We need a break from the 52 design.

OK, the Dennis Miller style rant is over, for now. There is another good batch of rookies in this set. The only one I'm a bit skeptical about would be Dewon Day. It's nice to have a card of him, but he didn't impress me at all last year. Maybe a little more seasoning in the minors will help him improve at the major league level. Danny Richar looks to be the second baseman this year.

The one to really watch is Ehren Wassermann. This kid's pitching is great! He has a funky delivery that keeps batters off balance. He was the lone bright spot in middle relief last year. Middle relievers are usually junk pickups card-wise, but I've got a good feeling about this kid. Middle relievers are starting to really get noticed this off-season. A few have already gotten huge contracts. Closer type contracts. If Ehren keeps injury free, he could become something really great.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...