Saturday, December 1, 2007

2007 Topps Update

I know I've used some images from the copper cards that I have in a few earlier posts, but I couldn't find an overview/review of the product itself. So, here goes.

Right off the bat, I should tell you that I liked the design of the 2007 Topps. Many people don't care for it, but it works for me. I usually like black bordered cards. It just seems, for lack of a better word, classy. I have no idea what the four pixels in each corner is all about, so I won't even try to explain it. It doesn't make you jump for joy, but the design is one of the better this year.

The "Updates & Highlights" (as it reads on the front of the pack) continues this design right down to the coloring. I was kind of partial to the 1990 update set, where the design was the same, but Topps used more vibrant colors to make the set stand out. This is a nice add on of players the original two series missed, traded players and yes, highlights.

For some reason, Anthony John Pierzynski was left out of the first two releases. I don't know what Topps was smoking either. Maybe they are spreading the stars over all three releases now, just in case there's not a blockbuster trade or a hot rookie or any highlights. Uh, yeah... that's the ticket.
  • 71 - A.J. Pierzynski
  • 72 - Darin Erstad
  • 73 - Boone Logan
  • 208 - Mark Buehrle (Highlight)
  • 272 - Bobby Jenks (All-Star)

It's good to see Darin Erstad finally get a Topps card in a White Sox uniform. It's about time. I know he was injured most of the year, but he was a pretty big signing last off-season. If Darin was healthy, he might have been in series two. It's great to see a Boone Logan card that doesn't make him look like he's trying to scare children. Mark Buehrle gets a highlight card for his minimum batters faced no-hitter. Bobby Jenks gets a card for his All-Star selection.

All in all, not too bad. The measly five cards made it realistic to pick up the set in the copper parallel too. That's a first for me. I completed the copper set before I completed the red backs. What is this world coming to?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...