Sunday, April 20, 2008

The Bambino Favors White Sox Fans

I've been a little swamped this weekend, so I will get the game recaps for today and yesterday up tonight.

While reading one of the local papers this weekend, I found an article about my favorite (and closest) card shop, RBI Sports in Burbank, Illinois. After boycotting the only other known card shop in the area, this shop is it.

It's nice to see that the hits come to this shop as well. I have to repeat that the owner, Tony Carrasquillo, is one of the nicest around. The customer was a 38 year old White Sox fan, who was celebrating his birthday. His fiancee told him to pick out anything in the store. The customer picked out a $300 pack of cards and found a Babe Ruth 1/1 signature and patch card.

Awesome find! I'm glad to see that the story ran in the local paper. Anything to draw more interest in the hobby, I say.

3 comments:

Captain Canuck said...

that's freakin' sweet....
it would never happen to me though. If my wife gave me $300 and told me to pick anything out of the store... I'd buy boxes and singles... a truck's worth of my favourites. i'd never gamble on one pack. I don't have that kind of luck....

Dinged Corners said...

does the article mention if he will keep the card, which seems wise, or sell it?

Steve Gierman said...

Brian,

My fiancee would never buy me a $300 pack of cards. Besides, I'd probably buy cheaper boxes and singles too.

Patricia,

He's keeping the card for now. The wedding is already paid for in June, so they have no pressing need. He's already turned down an offer for $5,000, thinking that he'll be able to get three times that on eBay sometime in the future.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...