Friday, April 11, 2008

1995 Fleer

After featuring a card on one of yesterday's posts, I might as well review the entire set of 1995 Fleer. On one hand, these were some of the most creative, innovative and different looking cards when this set was released. I'm guessing this was part of the extreme phase that most cards had in the mid-nineties.

On the other hand, this is one of the ugliest, loud, disruptive and generally chaotic sets to ever be released. I could've come up with a better card by throwing darts at a huge piece of cardboard. Each dart would have a different statistic or name. It might look bad, but honestly, could I do any worse?

The entire set starts out simplistic and reserved. The Red Sox get a subdued two-tone feel to their cards. The teams lumped together is still ever present in this set. By the time the White Sox get their cards in, a little chaos has been thrown into the mix. The result is what you see towards the top of this post. Late team entries get some day glo, post modern, colored Warhol nightmare. Check out a Rockies card sometime.

The White Sox have 21 cards in this set.

109 Wilson Alvarez
110 Paul Assenmacher
111 Jason Bere
112 Dennis Cook
113 Joey Cora
114 Jose DeLeon
115 Alex Fernandez
116 Julio Franco
117 Craig Grebeck
118 Ozzie Guillen
119 Roberto Hernandez
120 Darrin Jackson
121 Lance Johnson
122 Ron Karkovice
123 Mike LaValliere
124 Norberto Martin
125 Kirk McCaskill
126 Jack McDowell
127 Tim Raines
128 Frank Thomas
129 Robin Ventura

This was not the type of set that would draw me back into baseball after the strike. As an art major, I would've been highly offended if I saw this set in 1995. Don't get me wrong, I would've been intrigued enough to check it out, but I ultimately would've been repulsed by what I found.

On the plus side, there are a few players who make their few appearances as a member of the White Sox on cardboard. Paul Assenmacher and Dennis Cook immediately come to mind. Some of the cards don't look that bad, but others look like someone spilled a paint palette.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...