Tuesday, April 22, 2008

The Gentleman Masher

While checking out the White Sox site Sox Machine, I came across this mock up card of Jim Thome. I think it looks fantastic! Maybe this should be the style of a new retro card set.

Sox Machine has been trying to get the nickname "The Gentleman Masher" to stick for Jim Thome. I had my doubts at first, but after seeing this "card", I am convinced that it is perfect for him.

All Thome needs to do is grow a handlebar mustache and he would fit right into the nineteenth century. The only thing that bothers me about the card is the date of 1874. If that were true, then Thome would technically be on the Cubs. It's a little thing that only I would notice and be bothered by. It's my hang up, I'll deal with it.

All I have to say is that I want one! For a better look at the picture, click here. I sized the image down so it wouldn't eat up my limit for pictures. If the Sox ever decide to chuck it all, rewrite history and turn back the clock to 1874, I hope Jim Thome is around for this uniform. I hope he would try growing the mustache for that game too.

2 comments:

Sox Machine said...

On one hand, the Sox didn't exist in 1874. On the other, neither did the Cubs (1876), so hey. That style of nickname began to be phased out by the turn of the century. So did the neckerchief thing, for that matter.

Steve Gierman said...

Very true. It all stems from a pet peeve that I have about Cap Anson being lumped into White Sox card lots.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...