Friday, April 11, 2008

Card Spotlight: 4-11-08

2008 UD Premier - Premier Stitchings - Patch #PSTI-CF - Carlton Fisk 74/75

What's with all these Red Sox cards cluttering up White Sox Cards? Well, there are some players that I just consider so much a part of the White Sox experience that it doesn't matter what uniform they are in. Players include Carlton Fisk, Harold Baines, Minnie Minoso and Luis Aparicio. In many cases, players that are highly identified with the White Sox have been on multiple teams.

I only collect a few non-White Sox cards, but what I do collect has a strong White Sox connection. Carlton Fisk is one of those players.

It's always interesting to me what card companies come out with each year for retired players. Now, it's only a matter of time before a new Fisk card makes its presence known. Other players are sketchy from year to year, but Fisk and Aparicio tend to make the list every year over multiple releases.

This is a patch card specially made to depict Fisk's most widely known moment. To think that a rat was responsible for capturing this moment on film is beyond ridiculous. But it is true. The cameramen were instructed to follow the ball's path back then. A rat distracted the cameraman, so all he could think to do was focus on the player. That one improvised moment changed the way everyone watches sporting events.

I own a few Carlton Fisk cards that feature that moment, but none quite like this. I'm not sure what I think of the blue striping on the card, but I love that patch!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...